The 2016 Jacaranda Acquisitive Drawing Award (JADA) – the flagship drawing prize of the Grafton Regional Gallery – is on show at Coffs Harbour Regional Gallery until Saturday, March 3 2018.
With a $30,000 first prize and other prizes to the value of $10,000, the JADA is one of Australia’s richest drawing awards and has built an impressive collection of contemporary Australian drawing at the Grafton Regional Gallery.
“The winner of the 2016 JADA was Adam Cusack with his drawing ‘In plain sight’,” said Jo Besley, Coffs Harbour Regional Gallery Curator. “This was particularly impressive as 2016 was a record year for the JADA, which attracted a total of 568 entries from 418 artists from right across Australia. The 47 finalists make up the current JADA exhibition.
“Judge Ken Done said Adam’s drawing impressed him with its combination of technical skill and concept. ‘In plain sight’, a charcoal on paper drawing, shows found objects presented in provocative ways. The unrelated objects are assembled to create relationships that challenge the viewer’s perception of the original items.”
Alongside Adam Cusack’s drawing, Ken Done also selected a further four drawings to be acquired through the prize.
- Betty Greenhatch’s ‘Contemporary China’ – pencil and gold ink on paper – is a contemporary interpretation of a Chinese willow-pattern dinner plate.
- Jane Grealy’s ‘Maria’s Garden, From the Back’, is a detailed look at a suburban garden as seen by the artist over her back fence.
- ‘Becoming’ by Sandra Kiris looks at material and non-material realities and Catherine O’Donnell’s ‘Urban Dwelling Series #9’focuses on urban architecture.
- ‘How to raise a siren’ – a hand-drawn film by Todd Fuller –won the JADA Packers’ Choice prize.
Entry is free to the exhibition and Coffs Harbour Regional Gallery is open Tuesday – Saturday, 10am to 4pm. For more information go to www.coffsharbour.nsw.gov.au/gallery
There is also a series of related events:
- JADA Artist Panel with Chris Hundt, Michael Langley and JP Willis on 23 February.
- JADA Drawing Workshop with Sarah Mufford on 24 February.
- JADA Drawing Workshop with Michael Riley on 24 February.
The Jacaranda Acquisitive Drawing Award is presented every two years by the Grafton Regional Gallery. The 2016 JADA is touring to eight venues across Queensland and New South Wales.
Pictured is Adam Cusack’s winning entry ‘In plain sight’.