Cupid is in the air at Coffs Harbour Libraries where locals are being urged to fall in love with a book in the run-up to St Valentine’s Day.
“February 14th is also Library Lovers Day and we want to share our passion for books and stories with as many people as possible at this romantic time of the year,” said Roslyn Cousins, Team Leader Library Museum Gallery and Cultural Services.
Did you know?
- There is one public library service point for every 15,000 people and more than seven out of ten public libraries are open for more than 30 hours per week;
- More than 171 million items were lent to 8.6 million members of Australia’s public libraries. There were more than 112 million customer visits annually, or more than 9 million per month;
- There are 203 university libraries, used by around one million staff and students every year;
- There are more than 9,000 school libraries and some 12 million people visit our National, State and Territory libraries every year.
- Behind the scenes, 2,000-plus special libraries provide services for business users, lawyers, health professionals, government officials and other information consumers.
“Not everyone can afford to buy all the books or resources they might want or need,” added Roslyn. “But at libraries, they are free to borrow – whether you want an ebook, a treebook, an audio book, a DVD, CD or some other resource.”
While it’s great fun, Library Lovers Day is also a day to show appreciation for the many services that local libraries provide to the Coffs Harbour community.
If you haven’t visited your local library at Coffs Harbour, Woolgoolga or Toormina for a while, why not pop in this week and take a look at the displays. You never know who or what you may find!